I also should let you know Elise, in my opinion, has some sort of claustrophobia. She wants the window opened while I pump gas or get out of the truck to go to the mail box. She also does not buckle herself in until after I have buckled myself in. I usually run back into the house at least once to grab something I've forgotten and when she has already been buckled and I've dashed back inside a major meltdown has begun.
Any who, I get Russ out and she starts whining and then crying- no, I am not taking my sweet time, but for her time stands still when she wants something. By the time I am ready to get her out of the truck I decide this was enough and she should be getting herself out of the truck by now. I talk to her through the window and tell her to pull the handle. She cries she can't , I tell her to try harder. She cries louder, she can't. I tell her to use two hands. The crying continues. I open the truck door and show her this is the door handle this is how you use it and then closed the door and instructed her to try again. She still claims she can't do it and besides "I can't do it" "Let me out," is also being repeated at this moment.
At this time I am hot. Really, she can't so it, she isn't even trying. I jump into the back seat of the truck, tell Elise to huddle up next to Lucas who is still in his infant rear facing car seat and I sit in E's car seat. Yes, it was snug.
"Elise, this is how you do it," I growled. And I grabbed the door handle jerked on it and ....
NOTHING. Instantly I realized the child safety locks were on. SO there I was squished in a toddler's car seat with a tear streaked preschooler looking at me and a babe taking it all it.
"Elise, you were right. The door does NOT open. I'm sorry. Now honey can you climb over the seat go out mommy's door and then open this back door once you're outside?"
She was so quick to forgive but this experience struck a chord in me.
How often are we quick to judge because we do not know the full story? Guilty, right here.
Sit on that a minute. How often do we think we know what is going on and we may just see a duck gliding of the water but really it is paddling like mad under the surface?? I do this more than I'd like to admit.
I sure hope this scenario teaches me something, I'd hate for that dreaded experience to be all for not.
And let's hope when Elise has to describe her first memory it is of the zoo, or catching frogs instead of the day she couldn't get out of the truck.
1 comment:
laughing so hard after reading this...really laughing with you I promise...love you!!! YES there are so many things that Greyson says and we don't believe him but we should he ALWAYS tells it EXACTLY like he sees it.
Post a Comment