Sunday, October 16, 2011

Salmon Spawning







I took the kids and Rhoni to a creek off of Hwy 410 where Salmon were swimming upstream to spawn. What a nice way to spend an Autumn day. The kids had a blast watching the fish trying to swim up river and jumping over logs. The smell was a bit much at times and yes we got to talk about the life cycle: laying eggs, becoming adults, returning to the creek, and death. Good thing Rhoni was there to fill us in a bit, he learned about this topic in school and was eager to give out informational tidbits.

I dared Rhoni to catch a fish bear handed and he did that and then some. I think total he caught 3 fish- who else here can say they've done that. Once he got the hang of it he kept doing it!

On top of that Rhoni was part dectective. He noticed a blood spot and then we saw fish eggs a few feet away. The fish eggs didn't stop there, there was a trail that went up to the only other car that was at the creek. Rhoni figured someone took a salmon and brought it home ("I thought I saw them wrestling with something in the water [a fish].) Why someone would steal a spawning fish is beyond me. I was always told they are not good to eat, Joe thought perhaps they would be smoked.

Best day of September so far!!


No comments: