Sunday, September 13, 2009

Half Marathon

Today I finished my first half marathon. I really have just been training since Aug 19th the day after the Danskin Triathlon. I have been training with a night nurse who just turned 56 yesterday. He has prostate cancer and wanted to finish a run or two before his surgery which is scheduled Oct 12th. He will not be able to run for at least 6 months post surgery. He began running 7 years ago the day he quit smoking and enjoys a full marathon every other year and a few halves a year.

Matthew runs based on his heart rate and I ran side by side with him until mile 9. My stride is naturally longer than his and my hips hurt from forcing myself to take smaller steps. Anywho my goal was 2:30 I did it in 2:32:15 or at least that is what I remember. Not too shabby considering my longest run was 9 mi last Saturday. Those last 2 mi were not pretty I could have used another 2 weeks to train. Think I'm up for one more. If you run 2 marathons in 16 days you can become a member of "Marathon Maniacs" and the same goes for half marathons "Half Fanatics." I might just be crazy enough to be a fanatic. It has a nice ring to it.

No comments: