Monday, November 15, 2010

911 What's your emergency

Yep we had to call 911 Friday, and you get one guess who for. Yep again. Russell.

We had the gutter company out and Joe was worried that Russ would get cut with the sheet metal. Joe had just got a bonfire started and I was bringing Lucas outside. Joe said to me, "Hey can you keep track of Russell? He is not listening." I put Lucas in an exersaucer and went to get Russell who at this time was on the deck. I was halfway up the stairs and said "Russ come here." He was in a part of the deck that he has NEVER been on before. We had some bushes in the black plastic 5 gallon containers sitting near this corner of the deck because the railing was missing two slats. Russell saw me climbing the stairs and he started to back away as if playing keep-away. Yep he backed right off the deck. The fall was about 8 feet and he landed on a whiskey barrel planter, there was some hair strands to prove it.

I saw him fall but did not see him hit. I ran down to get him and he was screaming and crying pretty good. He was bleeding quite a bit and I was scared to take the kitchen towel off his head for fear of what I might see. We called 911 and the firemen came in less than 5 minutes. They called the medics for an eval because he was quiet, not the behavior they wanted to see. We think he was just ticked off, "Hmmm that didn't go as planned," probably ran through his little mind. The medics said he was neurologically intact and so the 3rd set of emergency personnel, the EMT's took Russ and I to Valley Medical Center in an ambulance. Meanwhile Joe followed behind and Grandma JoAnne came to watch E & L.

Russ was very quiet on the ride over and was strapped to a backboard for neck and spinal precautions. He got a CT scan and xrays which all came back negative. When we were told he could be taken off the backboard we decided he was quiet and watching TV no need to let him have freedom until we need to.

In all he had two head lacerations which required one staple and 6 stitches. The larger laceration had 3 staples and the ER doc removed them just to put them in again, and once again removed them. "They are just not cosmetically acceptable." To which Joe quipped up with, "So when he's bald he won't have a funny scar??" We all had a chuckle. Joe held Russ in his lap while the MD stitched and a RN and aid and I (count 'em 4 people) held Russ in place.

The kid has no bruises, no broken bones, no banged up face, nothing but a good how-I-got-my-first-set-of-stitches-story and that is just fine with this mom. If he had to fall off the deck he came away with the best case scenario. Thank you Jesus!! God is good.

The following images may be disturbing to some audiences:










And this was after we came home. His bath water was tinged orange, ewwwww.

3 comments:

Greyson said...

Yeah most of us have some sort of face or head scar to show off, I know I'm proud of mine. I just never really thought of the day it happened and how scared my parents must have been until I read this. Wow Laura and Joe I can't even imagine how you must have felt,… but you’re right, if it had to happen at least it was “best case”. I'm surprised to see they didn't shave hair to put in the stitches. Please give that kid a big kiss on his stitches for us! Is it an option to leave him Velcroed to the board until he 21 please? sure would make me worry less.... :)

Black Cat Ranch said...

YIKES! Scary story, but I'm glad he was no worse than just a few stitches in his head. <3

Hugs,
Lucy

Laura and Joe said...

My dad was teasing me "Oh Laura you would probably buy a backboard." :) Yeah Rach those snowsuits and a vinyl truck bench seat are a bad combination. Russ thanks you Lucy and Rachel (Greyson too) for your warm thoughts and concern.